Thursday, January 07, 2010

Mic Preamps



So, I got a cool recording gig coming up (I will go in depth once it pans out), and it will be a one mic in one room capturing some local singer song writer types (think of this in Cage's chance and environmental soundscaspes more than recording some hippy with a guitar). The point is to capture some quiet music and have the outsides and the house and the room all be a apart of this. So a friend of a friend asked if I would be into helping out so I said "damn right I am." The point is, I
need a decent mic pre. I had some good ones on my Soundcraft M12 that got jacked due to my own negligence, but that is gone. The ones on my MOTU 828 mk 1 are decent, but I need clear and well defined frequencies. So I started looking at pre amps.

This is an unexpected project, and for most of the Guerrilla and "lo fi" shit I usually record, what i have works (I got this old ass Peavy board with direct outs, and that actually works for the free work I do). This new project, that wont cut it, and neither will the 828's pres. So I have been shopping around. I ain't got much bread (I got many projects going on, and I don't want to not build drums, build circuits, get drunk on the weekends, ect to get a pre), so I am in the sub $300 range. I want clear and transparent, not a tube coloring type of one. So here is my current running list (note- I don't need feedback either from any Gearslutz dude that runs across this post and makes comments about me not getting a Great River or Neve knock off or something, God help the pretentious). You can make good records with sm-57's if you know what your doing. It may be update from time to time and I will let you (or me cause I am the only one that reads this blog) know what I get.

----Front Runners-----
Rane MS 1b- $150ish- many say this is very clean with good high transients.- my current front runner, one knob and gain, nothing more. (one of this went on ebay for $66 + $5 shipping)
Rane MS 1S- $200- new upgrade of above
Golden Age Project Pre-73- about $300- this gets good hype on the forums, and is a Neve copy that isn't hella skrilla.

ARX- $220 ish, stumpled upon it, seems to be limited
Rolls MP13- $70, 1/4" and XLR input- gain only- has at musicians friend as well

----I see them in the forums alot----
aphex 107- $100- this is a tube, but aphex makes good high end stuff.
Focusrite Trakmaster Pro- $250 in many places. I don't know, it seems like a ehh box that does too much for it's price.
symetrix sx202- $200ish- also gets good hype, on eBay any more.
JoeMeek VC- see it used for $100
JoeMeek ThreeQ- $249 new
DBX 286A-$210 new
Dbx 286-$100- old version of above

----Higher End shit that I wont be able to buy, but may be able to the next time----
APHEX 207D- $599 new
UNIVERSAL AUDIO 610 solo- $799 new, tube, but is a UA
Groove Tubes Brick- $400 new- This thing gets mixed reviews as a mic pre, but is fat on DI bass, so it may be a good "now and later" purchase. Tube

-------So you wanna home brew? Get some corn mash . . .-------
Orphan Audio- sells kits ($115) to rack up modular pres- now I am going to buy shitty old broken console channel strip

Pro Audio Forum- tips on how to do the above

Power Supply's?

1 comment:

brephophagizzle said...

you're not the only one.