Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Owl People- Ambient Show at StimPac III at the Granada


The Owl People Live at StimPac- 5-15-10 from sqrt(Brian) on Vimeo.

I had done a bunch of tinkering recordings for The Owl People, and given their current ensemble state of a trio, they needed a drummer/ambient-noisy-ologist, so they asked me to join up with them.  We played a local music showcase called StimPac at the Granada in Lawrence, Kansas with 12 other bands on May 15th.  This was a trio, with the two dudes beside me (Mark and Brett) playing a Micron and a Casio with effects, and a kaos pad and a Casio-esc Yamaha keyboard.  They ran that into a mixer of mine which had one effects loop running through some effects pedals and the moonshine fuzz and one effects loop ran into my computer for proper ambient processing.  I also used my custom made drumracas with heavy effects on them, some of my field recordings, and my circuit bent Disney toy.



Loud sound systems plus ambient music means guts were rattling. I gave the sound guy one mono signal, so I had control over everything but the over all loudness.  The Granada gets real deal acts and have a real deal sound system.  This wasn't no 1000 watt 2 15" monitor set up, that place was packed with wattage.  I would turn a knob, or put some of the exposed wires from my circuit bent toy in my mouth and I could hear and feel it.  I turned the water wobble grain-ish type effect up, and that shit gargled the whole joint.   I have never got to play an ambient show through such a dope or loud PA.

No comments: