Monday, January 25, 2010

My First Circuit Bend




I finally shorted circuited a toy that continued to work. Soldering is an artform, and I have shaky hands. But this one is functional for sure. It was a Disney See and Say I found for $2 at Goodwill. The circuit was simple with a few resistors and diodes on a surface mount board. After some studying, finding the pitch shift shorts are pretty easy in every toy. I found two different shorts, one for speed up and one for slow down. I put a 100k resistor pot on the pitch down (so I could change how low, and I ran the pitch up to two open wires hanging out like Mr. Cooper. This can be used as a straight short (ie no resistance) or used through variable resistant matter, like a the human body.



The pitch up is switched on by touching the wires, the pitch down is turned on by a switch at the top. I totally butchered the hole drilling through the case (get a hand bore if you ever try this shit out), so I covered them up like any old redneck boy from the mountains would do, with electrical tape. I also added a 1/4" out to it. With the switch off and the two open wires not shorting, the device functions totally normal, like a little kid at Christmas in 1989.




No comments: