Monday, April 12, 2010

Field Recording Set up sin Laptop


I like doing the field recordings, but I don't like to have to carry around a laptop and sound card to get high quality digital recordings.  I have a Canon ZR800 miniDV video camera that has a 3.5mm mic input on it which I bought specifically for the external audio input.
The problem is, that input is expecting a shitty electric consumer grade shotgun mic to plug into it (as I found out after I read the manual and but not before I rigged some cables up).  I have a passive DI box, which since it is passive isn't directional.  I put a female to female turnaround on the output of the DI and plug the mic into that.  I then take a 1/4" mono to 3.5mm stereo and connect the input of the DI into the input of the camera.  Hooking it up backwards still corrects the impedance and I can have decent mics anywhere I can get too for about an hour.

I got no volume control on the camera, so I may need one of these 100k harmonica type or one of these audio attenuators from DATC.  I figured if I grabbed some 10k audio pots from a dope vintage console, that would be "hip."  I got a battery powered 48v phantom box so condenser mics work with this set up as well.  My camera also has a stereo input, so with the right cables and a stereo passive DI box, I get a stereo pair.

Below are other links I found while researching this set up (some Ipod, some shotgun mics, ect).


 So, now it is time to find a battery powered mic pre, with phantom, and then go 1/4" to 3.5mm.  One of these type mics is what is recommended by the sales guys and this is a post about condenser's to camcorders.  A link to shotgun mic comparisons.  This post shows a DIY project on making a stereo breakout box for a 3.5mm plug.  This page shows how to make a xlr-3.5mm cable with a capacitor (to get rid of the power the camera sends to the expectantly connected Electrit mic.  I could make an adapter box like this.

You can do this with 2G or older ipod touches too . . .
http://benttronics.blogspot.com/2009/05/audio-breakout-cable-for-ipodiphone.html
http://www.macosxaudio.com/front/2009/04/fire-field-recorder-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/

No comments: