Monday, January 04, 2010

The Electronic Drum Project

I have done earlier posts on this this, but this one is a less brainstorm, and more conclusive entry on what I did with these electronic drums.


I first made and installed the electronics (aka a contact mic I made from piezo speakers from Radio Shack) into the drums, similar to this site. I used wood and screws and foam, but just get them close the head area and wired them to a TR 1/4" female jack. I also made mesh heads like it says here. Note- next time I do this, I doubt I will make my own heads and buy some mesh ones online instead. See pics above.

On this kit, I took the wrap off these kiddie
drums I got a hold of, sanded and stained them, and put a spray lacquer on them. This kinda looks cool, but if the wood on these Taiwanese made drums were better, I could have them slick and proper. There are some more finishing type links on my original brainstorm page for this project.

I made the cymbal trigger out of a Jane Fonda Workout 12" and taped a contact mic wired to a female 1/4" to it. It made people come up and look at my creation (but only before I played, not after). See below.


At this point, you can plug them into your standard electronic drum brain, or a midi/trigger converter, or right into your multi-track audio interface using some drum replacement software on your DAW. Given my IDM nature, I used the DAW method. I can get no latency with my firewire old school MOTU 828 mk1, and then I can put all my glitchy freakout sounds in. There is also the option of having arpeggios play different drum sounds, having drums that just mute and un mute, and having different drums trigger at different velocities. I really want a midi/trigger converter (or run the midi out of a standard brain) to minimize CPU usage.

No comments: