Tuesday, May 03, 2011

"Dope" Art I have Seen- Velazquez's Las Meninas Redux and Remixed


I saw the above painting at the Museu Picasso Exhibit "Forgetting Velázquez: Las Meninas" in 2008 while in Barcelona.  The Museu's exhibit website has lots of the pieces posted and has a wealth of info on the exhibition. This was one of the coolest non-permanent shows I saw while in Spain. The above piece is by Cristobal Toral (to quote his bio "His favourite themes are the female nude, still-lifes and suitcases").  Here is a little press on a talk he did at Dartmouth in 2009. The entire exhibit was interpretations of Las Meninas through the centuries.  I had the pleasure of seeing the original Velázquez joint in the Prado a few weeks earlier, so seeing this was great.  There were plenty of other notable pieces by the great painters of history (Picasso did many replications of the piece) but Toral's piece will forever stick with me.

No comments: