Sunday, February 28, 2010

KU Noon Bell Tower Recording


I was under the impression that the KU Bell Tower did a special ring at noon. I was on campus on Saturday, and I thought it did a long chime deal at the height of the sun. Today is Sunday, so I got up near it and set up my little laptop based field recording rig and waited for the noon toll. It did it's regular ring, with 12 strikes afterwards. I even hung out until 12:15 pm to make sure that wasn't the special ring (which it wasn't). I left the recording running during the 15 minutes and got a dog running in front of the mic (which you can also hear during the noon recording chimes).




Recording notes, I got a little farther away this time (100 ft approx.) , and a little farther down the hill. I used the AT Pro37 into the Lambda into my laptop with Cubase. I put the mic right next to a big tree to create a buffer from the wind (other than a few shifting winds, it worked well since the wind mostly came up the hill). I had the gain on the Lambda at 2 or 3 o'clock.

No comments: