Monday, February 22, 2010

Field Recording of Western Kansas

I am going to pull out the John Cage card. . .

I had to attend a work related endevor to a part of Kansas that is less than an hour away from both Colorado and Oklahoma. The drive out there looked like this from the windshield of the car-


I had brought my laptop field recoding rig along in case our hotel in this small (but very nice and friendly) town of Ulysses was near a bell tower (google said something about a catholic church near by).
My hotel was on the out skirts of town, so I was out of luck for some God recording, but I did take a two minute recording at about 10 pm at night 2-17-2010. It is mostly (if you can hear anything over the preamp on my audio interface) air conditioning units of the hotel. I was in the closest place to far way that I have ever spent the night. It seemed appropriate for my first adventure farther west than Topeka to capture this as the audio of the high plains. It was open and quiet, but still had the hum of human influenced ambiance. The view of the mic is below the link to the recording.




And for the geekers to understand/clown on the noise floor, the signal chain was an AT Pro 37 and a Lexicon Lambda Audio interface (trust me, the noisey preamp is almost appreciated in this recording).

No comments: